Osiyo Oginalii!

Osiyo oginalii! Tsilugi - welcome, my friends and relations and all those of like-hearts and minds! Please take the time that you need to read my posts thoughtfully and then share your own thoughts about what you have read here. We are all in this together and we need each other as we move into an uncertain future. In the effort to communicate this with as many as possible, please see in the list of Elk Whistle Links below that I have four Facebook pages, a LinkedIn page, a YouTube channel, NuMuBu and ReverbNation music sites, and I'm on Twitter and Google+. There are important messages that we all need to share with each other. I hope you'll join me - dodanagohuhi...... dohiyi!

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Give-Aways Aren't Enough

Within the next few hours, I will be connected to over a thousand professional folks in various fields on the LinkedIn social media. More than my other social media pages including Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, Blogger, Iparte, The Red Nation Society, and the Native Spirit Tribal Community, the intrinsic value of these professional connections on LinkedIn is still somewhat ambiguous to me. There are reasons for that. My purpose on other pages like FB, etc., is very clear to me - to communicate with as many like-hearted and like-minded spirits as possible, to sound a call, to help move us into a changed world that is unlike what has so far taken place on this earth. Most of what I post, especially my blog posts, have this recurring theme.
But on LinkedIn I am connected to chairpersons and councilmembers of Indian nations across Turtle Island, plus those who work for them and with whom they do business, as well as media moguls, arts presenters, and performing, graphics, and fine artists. This is different than on the other social media pages.
I have several purposes and several means of achieving those purposes. My dilemma on LinkedIn is more a matter of having too many directions in which to communicate with the professionals with whom I've connected. I hope you can help me with your perspective.
As a performing artist and musician, storyteller, teacher, writer, actor, and activist, I use my talents for education, for social, environmental, and economic justice, and I hope along the way that my efforts are recognized enough to be supported in what I try to do, that I can stay busy and, through that busyness, also manage to pay my bills.
I have also been a Native American Spiritual leader in a women's prison who has tried to help deal with many of the issues that brought many of those women to prison - issues like substance abuse and domestic violence, especially against Native women, issues like low self-esteem, intergenerational trauma, and the historical residues of the cultural genocide of Native Americans. I have worked with the White Bison Wellbriety training programs to improve my skills in doing so and to help others gain those skills. I still work to apply that experience where it is needed.
Before all this, I worked for 22 years as an environmental professional, gaining a great deal of experience that's especially useful in today's push toward a green and sustainable future - experience that includes:
* wildland and urban forest management for multiple uses including silvicultural reforestation and fire hazard reduction through various means including prescribed and controlled burning, computerized inventories of street and park trees and long-range management planning for urban trees;
* handling and processing of biomass materials for energy production and nursery plant production from sawmill residues, industrial agriculture, urban green waste including tree-trimming and removal, large-scale land-clearing, and construction and demolition debris;
* siting, design, and permitting of solid waste materials recovery facilities, transfer stations and landfills;
* hazardous materials inventories for hazardous materials management planning;
* conduct of phase I environmental site assessments for property transfers;
* preparation of industrial stormwater run-off pollution prevention plans:
* co-founding and management as vice-president and general manager of a biomass fuels processing company;
* preparation of environmental documents including environmental assessments, environmental impact reports, and environmental impact statements according to CEQA, NEPA, and the federal Clean Water Act including the first EIR ever written in the state of California for a billboard; and the
* establishment and management of various recycling and composting programs including biomass, waste paper, and beverage container redemption.
I guess that, environmentally, I think of myself as a sustainability advocate and consultant.
But, when I communicate with professionals on LinkedIn in all these fields, which do I pursue? Where are my skills and experience most needed and most effectively applied and in what area am I most likely to be able to be financially successful enough to continue to work and my family to thrive? I provide as much support as I am able to worthwhile causes, hopefully without my family having to sacrifice more than it already has - but give-aways have to have a limit, and my give-aways are consistent across the board. I do need to be practical. Tell me what you think I should do.

No comments:

Post a Comment