Osiyo Oginalii!

Osiyo oginalii! Tsilugi - welcome, my friends and relations and all those of like-hearts and minds! Please take the time that you need to read my posts thoughtfully and then share your own thoughts about what you have read here. We are all in this together and we need each other as we move into an uncertain future. In the effort to communicate this with as many as possible, please see in the list of Elk Whistle Links below that I have four Facebook pages, a LinkedIn page, a YouTube channel, NuMuBu and ReverbNation music sites, and I'm on Twitter and Google+. There are important messages that we all need to share with each other. I hope you'll join me - dodanagohuhi...... dohiyi!

Thursday, December 22, 2011

My Story About Alvino Siva, Cahuilla Elder and Bird-Singer

In 1997 and '98, a Native American Cowboy Jubilee was held in the San Jacinto Mountains town of Idyllwild in Southern California with both Native American and cowboy performers on stages all over town. The first year, I was asked to perform in the jubilee by Alvino Siva, an elder of the Cahuilla people for whom Idyllwild was ancestral land. Alvino was a storyteller, a teacher, a leader of the bird-singing tradition of the Cahuilla, one of the last of the Cahuilla-speaking people. His sister, Katherine Siva Saubel, a tremendously-respected elder, founded the Malki Museum on the Morongo reservation in Cabazon and authored books on the Cahuilla language and their ethno-botany. Their nephew, Ernest Siva, carries on their work and their tradition today with the Ushkana Press and the Ushkana Foundation. I was very honored to be invited by Alvino to play my flutes and tell my stories - himself a storyteller, Alvino could be fierce in his critique of the latter-day inhabitants of California. Before the first jubilee began, Alvino approached me and asked me for a favor - he held in his safe-keeping a 100 year-old Crow war-bonnet that was passed to him by the son of a man who was gifted with the bonnet by its original bearer - or at least that is what was explained to me by Alvino. After consulting with a spiritual leader of their people, Alvino had been told that, once a year, the bonnet needed to be brought out and worn by a suitable person so that it would not lose its power. So, he asked me to wear it while I performed - me! I was at once struck by a sense of pride in the honor being bestowed on me by Alvino and also by a huge sense of trepidation since I had not earned the right to wear those feathers, nor were war-bonnets a tradition of the people of my ancestry, the Cherokee. I might be accused of 'chiefing' like the Lakota-style buckskin-clad bonnet-wearers who haunted the sidewalks of the Cherokee tourist town of Cherokee, North Carolina, at Qualla Boundary - to be paid for having their pictures taken with unwitting tourists. I didn't want that to happen. When the day came, I wore the bonnet as briefly as possible without offending Alvino. When a wind came up and it became difficult to wear the bonnet correctly, I removed it with as much respect as it deserved, hopefully before any photos were taken - but I was too late. Some years later, a painting surfaced on the internet, prints of the painting being sold on various fine art websites. It was titled "Elk Whistle" and was obviously painted from a photograph of me in my regalia, holding one of my flutes, and wearing the 100 year-old Crow bonnet. That is the story of the painting that graces my Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/BillNealElkWhistle and my blog page at elkwhistlebillneal.blogspot.com/. About two years ago I attended the memorial service for Alvino at the Malki Museum with all the others who came to pay their final respect for a man who had a long, meaningful life of work on behalf of his people and I wondered to whom that war-bonnet had been passed again for safe-keeping. I hoped that it had found its way back to the Crow people where it was meant to be.

6 comments:

  1. Dear Bill,
    I’m not sure what the problem is here. You have native blood in your veins. You play your flute and tell stories of your native peoples and lands. You respect the life way of your native ancestors. You live well and with respect for yourself and others. The honor of wearing this war-bonnet is beyond words. Alvino gifted you with this honor, yet unless you think you are going to go out and earn the honors the war-bonnet’s original owner lived for … you cannot be looked down upon for excepting Alvino’s gift of tradition. It was his to give. He gave it to you. He is gone … you are now the “Rememberer”. You now take the responsibility to represent, in both a very physical and spiritual way … the Native American past. Live your own future as one of the blood. Take Alvino’s gift. Keep the painting on your page. For him and for you. Celebrate the past owner(s) of the war-bonnet … he/they live in you.

    Loon Wing - Leigh Fosnot - Ennis Montana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with Loon Wing Bill Elk Whistle

      Delete
  2. Osiyo my oginallii,
    If you were chosen by this brother, then you were also chosen by, the Great Spirit, to wear this bonnet honorably.
    It is the Spirits talking and telling you that your way of life is a gift to all who come into your lifes circle and to keep up what your doing.

    Wado my friend
    SpiritWalker

    ReplyDelete
  3. A few trips with Alvino to some gravesites, a few lunches at Grandma's and some conversations with Kathryn and......well... the more significant events in my life. Add to that the visits with Leon and Virginia Scribner up at Santa Rosa and building the pipe handrail in front of their house, a few radio chats with Ernie and I'd say I've had a good run. At 70 there ain't much left but it's been good. It's been plenty good and enough. Larry Early in the Morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leon and Virginia are my grandparents and it's great to hear that Anonymous knew them and found his visits with them enjoyable. I was up there in July last year and the pipe handrail is still serving it's purpose.

      Delete
  4. christine, building the handrail was a labour of love for me. Leon and Virginia treated me like family and I,ll never forget them. This is a site I can put my cell# on. Anyone from the realm of Alvino Siva or Leon and Virgina or Deana is welcome to call 785 406 0304 anytime. I mean that. I am Larry Medearis and Larry Early In The Morning. Hello to Raven and Dato also.

    ReplyDelete